Spin transistor based on the spin-filter effect, and non-volatile memory using spin transistors
|Posted date||Sep 5, 2011|
|Country||United States of America|
|Date of filing||Oct 31, 2007|
|Gazette Date||Mar 13, 2008|
|Gazette Date||Mar 2, 2010|
|International application number||JP2003009438|
|International publication number||WO2004012272|
|Date of international filing||Jul 25, 2003|
|Date of international publication||Feb 5, 2004|
|Title||Spin transistor based on the spin-filter effect, and non-volatile memory using spin transistors|
A spin transistor comprises a spin injector for injecting, from a first nonmagnetic electrode carriers with a spin parallel to a spin band forming the band edge of a first ferromagnetic barrier layer, to a second nonmagnetic electrode layer, as hot carriers.
It also comprises a spin analyzer whereby, due to spin-splitting at the band edge of a second ferromagnetic barrier layer, the spin-polarized hot carriers are transported to a third nonmagnetic electrode when the direction of the spin of the carriers injected into the second nonmagnetic electrode is parallel to that of the spin of the spin band at the band edge of the second ferromagnetic barrier layer, whereas the hot carriers are not transported to the third nonmagnetic electrode in the case of antiparallel spin.
A memory element is also provided that comprises such a spin transistor.
|Scope of claims||
1. A transistor comprising: a ferromagnetic semiconductor layer including a channel;
a source and a drain being joined to said channel; and
a gate electrode formed over said channel,
wherein at least one of said source and said drain is formed by a Schottky junction of a ferromagnetic metal and said ferromagnetic semiconductor layer,
wherein at least one of said source and said drain is formed of a ferromagnetic material, and
one of said channel and said at least one of said source and said drain has coercivity higher than coercivity of the other of said channel and said at least one of said source and said drain.
2. The transistor according to claim 1, wherein the ferromagnetic material used in at least one of said source and said drain is a ferromagnetic metal or a ferromagnetic semiconductor.
3. The transistor according to claim 1, comprising a gate insulating layer disposed between said ferromagnetic semiconductor layer and said gate electrode.
4. The transistor according to claim 1, wherein a magnitude of mutual conductance or an output current is controlled by relative magnetization directions of said source or said drain and said ferromagnetic semiconductor material.
5. A memory element comprising: one transistor according to claim 1;
a first line connected to said source;
a second line connected to said gate; and
a third line connected to said drain.
|IPC(International Patent Classification)||
|Reference ( R and D project )||PRESTO Nanostructure and Material Property AREA|
Contact Information for " Spin transistor based on the spin-filter effect, and non-volatile memory using spin transistors "
- Japan Science and Technology Agency Department of Intellectual Property Management
- URL: http://www.jst.go.jp/chizai/
- Address: 5-3, Yonbancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan , 102-8666
- Fax: 81-3-5214-8476