Method of growing semiconductor crystal
|Posted date||Jun 11, 2013|
|Date of filing||Mar 18, 2004|
|Gazette Date||Apr 3, 2013|
|Gazette Date||May 6, 2015|
|Title||Method of growing semiconductor crystal|
SiC is a very stable substance, and it is difficult to control the condition of a SiC surface to be suitable for crystal growth in conventional Group III nitride crystal growing apparatuses.
This problem is solved as follows.
The surface of a SiC substrate 1 is rendered into a step-terrace structure by performing a heating process in an atmosphere of HCl gas.
The surface of the SiC substrate 1 is then treated sequentially with aqua regia, hydrochloric acid, and hydrofluoric acid.
A small amount of silicon oxide film formed on the surface of the SiC substrate 1 is etched so as to form a clean SiC surface 3 on the substrate surface.
The SiC substrate 1 is then installed in a high-vacuum apparatus and the pressure inside is maintained at ultrahigh vacuum (such as 10 **-6 to 10 **-8 Pa).
In the ultrahigh vacuum state, a process of irradiating the surface with a Ga atomic beam 5 at time t1 at temperature of 800 deg.C or lower and performing a heating treatment at 800 deg.C or higher is repeated at least once.
The temperature is then set to the growth temperature of an AIN film, and the SiC substrate surface 3 is initially irradiated with A1 atoms 8a in ultrahigh vacuum state, followed by the feeding of N atoms 8b.
|Scope of claims||
1. A crystal growing method comprising the steps of: forming a flat and clean SiC surface; growing AlN under high vacuum by feeding Al and N atoms, wherein feeding of Ga or In as surface control element for controlling the mode of crystal growth of said AlN is started before starting said growing; and characterized in that feeding of Ga or In for controlling the mode of crystal growth of said AlN is terminated after said growing is started.
2. The crystal growing method according to claim 1, wherein said SiC surface has an offset angle of 0 to 15 deg. with respect to the (0001) Si or (000-1) C plane.
3. The crystal growing method according to claim 1 or claim 2, wherein the step of growing said AlN is performed under a vacuum of 10 **-2 to 10 **-4 Pa.
|IPC(International Patent Classification)||
|Reference ( R and D project )||PRESTO Nanostructure and Material Property AREA|
Contact Information for " Method of growing semiconductor crystal "
- Japan Science and Technology Agency Department of Intellectual Property Management
- URL: http://www.jst.go.jp/chizai/
- Address: 5-3, Yonbancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan , 102-8666
- Fax: 81-3-5214-8476